Back to the Beginning: Too Much Excitement (posted Oct. 14, 2010)

The last couple of days have been a bit surreal so much has happened in a few short days.  It began with a hunter walking onto the property two days ago.  Okay, I’m new to Montana, so I ask Richard, “Who is that, he just climbed under the electric fence?  It looks like he’s carrying a weed whacker!”

It’s bow season in Montana, the hunter shot a deer, it ran off and the blood trail ended at our fence.  He looked for a while, Richard helped, it would not be found.  The hunter stayed for quite a while walking all over, searching.  He came back yesterday looking again (this is really a good thing as a carcass will bring coyotes).  No deer was found.

Meanwhile…yesterday Richard and I ran errands, stopped for lunch where I had a nice salad, came home and shortly after I felt very, very ill.  Me, this person who is always cold, burned up even with the ice pack on my head for the crazy bad headache that came with this.  In short order I was throwing up.  What a lovely day!  I think it’s still digestive issues and we both agreed, it’s time for me to go to the doctor.

Because I’d slept intermittently during the day sleep did not come easy.  As if on cue, around midnight I heard a coyote very close, I listened as he went from the hill above our house to the neighbor’s property.  Scared and worried about Sadie I woke up Richard.  He said coyotes usually go after much smaller prey animals.  Still, I couldn’t rest until the coyote’s yipping was way off in the distance.

This morning before we headed to the doctor’s Richard saw a coyote, by the time I reached the living room, it was gone.

We left for the doctor’s and the main road was blocked off.  Initially I thought it was construction but the flagger told us the bank (which just happens to be our bank!) burned to the ground, it started around 3:30 last night.

It was shocking to see that devastation, it’s the same sort of thing I’d seen in Bremerton when teens torched a family’s furniture store.  Heartbreaking indeed.

I took my list into the doctor’s office with me, still nothing definitive, it could be a number of things, they did only basic bloodwork to save me money, I’ll need to do another stool sample (oh joy, oh bliss!)  It comes down to my needing an ultrasound which may be completely out of the picture for now because I have no insurance.  We’ll look into how much this too will cost out of pocket because I won’t have any sort of Medicaid coverage until May, and I really can’t fathom waiting that long to get this figured out.

For now, it’s a serious change in diet, watching what I eat because honestly I’d rather do that than suffer from the diarrhea I had before, and the vomiting yesterday.  I don’t think there’s anything worse than vomiting!

Today was another day resting, I hadn’t eaten since lunch yesterday and honestly, eating scared me!  Richard had left for work when we got a call from a friend of his, her elderly husband fell and she needed Richard’s help.  Fortunately Richard had his cell phone, I called him, he headed for their home right away.  In the meantime I went to check on them.

I thought he’d had a fall like many elderly folks do, I was thinking maybe he needed to go to the doctor and she needed Richard’s help getting him in her car.  Imagine my shock when I learned he fell from a ladder cleaning the gutters and blacked out.  When his wife stepped into the house for a moment I asked him how it happened.  He could not remember.  Panic!  Immediately I am thinking “loss of consciousness,” head injury…you know that feeling when you’re hyper alert?  This was one of those moments, but on the other hand didn’t know what to do.

Richard arrived and the gentleman who had fallen tried to make it sound like no big deal.  I’d like to say we encouraged them to have him get checked out, we didn’t come out and say it.  I don’t know why in moments like these we don’t say or do what we know we need to, I regret it.

I was relieved to hear they did get him checked out locally, the doctors did find bleeding on the brain and he will be taken to the big city 60 miles away tomorrow.  Richard suggested we make tomorrow our big city shopping day instead of next week as we’d planned.  This way we can follow them to the hospital, check on them, and just be there for support.

It is my intention to be fully present, insightfully supportive, and because of my own experiences, I can walk into this particular fire completely unafraid.

Falls are the number one cause of Traumatic Brain injuries…according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, of all TBIs requiring hospitalization, 22% are age 75 and older.

About Resilient Heart

TBI x3, that's me! If you had a Traumatic Brain Injury (or Injuries!) and knew you might not remember dates, events, people, etc., would you live each day differently? Would you give more, forgive more, heal more? I am. The statistics for me developing Dementia or Alzheimer's is a high possibility - one, because of the TBIs, and two - because I'm genetically predisposed. Come with me as this present moment is all we know we have... Wishing you all the best - today & always. Blessings, Love & Peace, RH
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Back to the Beginning: Too Much Excitement (posted Oct. 14, 2010)

  1. The Mouse says:

    Wishing the best for both you and your neighbor.

  2. Thanks so much for stopping by, Mouse, I appreciate your comment. Thank you kindly. Yes, our neighbor is immensely resilient. He was a farmer years ago and as farmers know, you have to get back up. I’m doing much better too. Thank you again. Wishing you all the best today & always.

    Blessings, Love & Peace,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s